Friday, May 4, 2007

Fridays Sound

Three choice clips from that long-dead comedy show I continue to rediscover.

First, The Jam, from 1980. Great tight new mod sound. This was the first time I'd seen them perform, and I remember watching this show with an actress I was then sort of dating. I was never quite sure, apart from the naughty bits. Unlike some of her dates, I focused more on the music (and comedy) than on her, and I recall being sent packing after this episode ended. Still, The Jam rocked.



Next, Stray Cats, from '81, before they had an album pressed in the US. Solid rockabilly during that form's resurgence. (The Blasters were good, as were The Race Records, a crazy hillbilly band from Bloomington, IN.) Brian Setzer had a great look and voice. Music to drink PBR by.



Finally, Pretenders, also from '81. I still love this band. Chrissie Hynde was simply the shit -- those bangs, those eyes, that voice. Can't remember where I saw this episode, but if it was with that actress, there was surely no contest.